View Single Post
      03-25-2018, 03:59 PM   #16
ThomasR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X3 M40i

Garage List
Ok so I replaced mine on this weekend for the first time. Thanks to the OP of this thread along with others. I have some notes.

You definitely do not have to remove the cowl and wipers. I removed the three torx on the left side of that back intake arm that holds the 'black foam' and then the two torx bolts on the right side of it behind the intake filter. I was then able to pull the black foam piece out of the left side and just fold it back out of the way on top of the intake manfold/valve cover to get to #5 and #6.

When putting the vent hose back on part number 11127584128 it broke in half in the blink of an eye. It was extremely brittle after 72k miles. I ordered a new one. They are $35+ new. I would suggest just buying a new one when doing this job if it has 50k on it as is soooo brittle after that time. I used a razor blade and cut the rest of the host off both ends to find a nice nipple to put a hose on. I used a hose from from my parts bin from a 28 year old Toyota Pickup 22RE to repair it until the new part comes in.

On a side note...while I was in NAPA buying a new spark plug gap tool to adjust my plugs the guys behind the counter said someone came in and special ordered a set of Ford Model T plugs and because they had to buy them in a set of 20 they had a few left over. Once I saw one I had to have it! Come with a cool vintage box and wrapped in a wax paper set of instructions:

Appreciate 3