12-21-2011, 05:16 AM   #102
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TogMogX3 View Post
My gripe is that there are those who fail to acknowledge well proven facts. Please read the many reports on winter tyre performance, they all give the same message and it is so simple to understand too. Try Google: winter tyre reports.

On a side note: thank you for informing me that my incar temperature gauge is giving false readings, I will have it checked out immediately. Yesterday when I drove into Reading and home again in the evening the gauge registered less that 7C on both journeys.
You completely miss the point. I’ve quoted the facts. Read my post above. The statistics above come from tyre manufacturers so if anything they are likely to be biased in favour of buying winter tyres. They say you get a 10% improvement in stopping distance at 5C on wet roads but stopping distance is actually increased on dry roads. That’s great but you can improve your stopping distance much more (like 50% rather than 10%) by not using worn tyres and not waiting until they approach the legal minimum. You can also decrease your stopping distance exponentially by driving more slowly in hazardous conditions. Winter tyres are great for driving in snow and I recommend them 100% for that purpose but the improvements you get at 5C are tiny (and they actually increase stopping distance on dry roads at this temperature) and the whole “anything below 7C and winter tyres are a necessity” argument is total nonsense.

I’ve taken the time to include statistics and references but you’ve quoted nothing other than suggesting a Google search. Please post some statistics and actually add some value to this thread rather than just blindly criticising. If you do this, you might actually convince me. I have an open mind and after all, I have winter tyres fitted but they were purchased with a view to driving in Europe. As it stands, you’ve convinced me of nothing.

Re. temperatures, I’m not sure what relevance yesterday’s temperature has on today’s temperature or why you would think your in car temperature gauge is more accurate than the equipment used at the met office (where I got my Reading temperatures from earlier). I’m assuming this was sarcasm but difficult to tell on a forum so if it wasn’t I apologise in advance.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0