03-27-2020, 08:44 AM   #2
Cal Kestis
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x3 30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
Gents,

So I recently leased the 30e and after finding out it had only 17mi range decided to get a budget level 2 charge which will meet the max 3.7kwh charging capability of the 30e. After the install I went to put the stock 110v charger in the boot and found it to be a ridiculously snug fit.
That was my complaint with the 30e was that they provided only a level 1 charger. At the default charging rate it takes more than overnight to charge the car.

Per my discussion with the dealer, there was a quality issue with the level 2 charger so they put in a level 1. IMHO, they should recall the level 1 charger and give all of us a level 2 when it is available. It is absolutely ridiculous to include a charger that at the default setting cannot charge the battery overnight. Maybe if enough 30e owners complain they will fix this.

However, the 30e actually has a 16kw charger, you need to adjust the setting for it to charge faster with your level 2 charger.

From the manual:

Setting the current limit for charging via level 1 charging cable
Depending on the electrical mains, the vehicle must be charged with a different charge current strength. By default, the current limit of the charge current is set to the lowest level.
Via iDrive:
1. "CAR"
2. "Plan charge/climate"
3. Move the Controller to the right.
4. "Settings"
5. "AC settings"
6. "Current limit"
7. Select the desired setting.
Settings are stored. When you change charging locations you also might need to change the setting for charging. Set the charge current strength at other household sockets to the lowest level.
Depending on the charge current setting, the charging duration changes.
Appreciate 0