pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingstaff View Post
New member checking in on his thread from last year. In the last 20 years I’ve owned in order: Yukon, Yukon, Escalade. We have downsized significantly to the X3 due to all of our kids being older and “right-sizing” the SUV for me, my wife, and our dog. Winter handling is a concern for me with such a small and lighter vehicle in our harsh Michigan winters. I am also concerned with the BMW AWD system which I read favors rear wheels first, vs. what I am used to with full time AWD to all 4 tires independently. I appreciate the information above in this thread in providing advise.

As someone that lives in Michigan, and travels regularly to Northern Michigan in the winter, handling in adverse conditions is essential. Sounds like I will need to get winter tires for our vehicle.
With winter tires, the vehicle will have no issues getting through most conditions safely, that is until clearance becomes a problem. The computers are monitoring the vehicle's behavior and will apply power to the front and back to keep will spin to a minimum. Traction and stability control will aid to reduce fishtailing and wheel spin. I think it's a beast in the snow and does way better than my factory lifted S10 ZR2 pickup truck with posi, that's until it's so deep that the bottom of the X3 starts substantially scraping the snow since there's not a lot of ground clearance.

Last edited by pungo; 08-21-2020 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 1