02-06-2020, 04:21 PM   #35
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daninavan View Post
Read up a bunch here before I chose a setup so thought I’d share my experience:

Tried to find a used setup that became very very difficult. Audi SQ5 wheels or A5 wheels 20” and above would fit over X3M Comp brakes by my research. Tried on a used set that were proper wheel size but oversized by one size in the tire and they rubbed. It’s very tight in the front with our cars.

Here is what did NOT work. 265/50/20. I’ve had cars in tHe past where oversizing the tires was fine in the wheel wells. Not here.

I ended up purchasing these cheap rims that seem to be fine quality so far:
https://www.bbwheelsonline.com/verde...m-V44-284420G/
Verde Empire in 20x8.5 ET20 5x112

And mounted these with TPMS from my local indie shop who was able to get them a bit cheaper than tire rack:
Yokohama BluEarth Winter in 255/45/20.

I sized up using willtheyfit.com and they are very very close to stock in terms of lining up with fenders.

All in after shipping, tpms, tax and mounting was $1705. Good price.

This is a square setup so I can rotate all around the car and get the most life from the snows. I don’t plan on using them more than a few months a year so I’d like them to last the length of the lease. I also keep them in my garage and it’s super simple to pop them on the car when temps drop. No trips to the tire shop to put tires on and off of the stock wheels.

They fit perfect and drive well. Obviously a very different feel from the 21” summers. If I did it again I might try the Pirellis for a hair more. I also think you could go 20x9 and it would fit great. These get a little squirrely when you get on it, but to be expected with snows and 600hp haha.

Attachment 2234503
Thanks for posting a review of the Yokohamas. The salesman at tire rack said they had more siping than the Pirellis so wonder if the snow traction is better? The Pirellis are good in the snow but not great - you still have to be careful.

What PSI are you running? My Pirellis were mushy at 38 so I bumped it to 42 and have been happier with the handling and ride (akin to the 21”s).

The wheels look great! I was looking at a similar style in silver from another brand but they were on backorder until spring
Appreciate 0