View Single Post
      01-27-2020, 04:25 PM   #27
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by crst4s View Post
I live in the mountains and we can see snow anytime November through May. Having been caught out switching back to Summers too early, I now stay on Winter tires for 6 months of the year. I know the conventional wisdom is that narrower tires are better in snow, but, having bought an M car, I wanted it to look like one for more than ½ the year. For that reason, I needed a good excuse to stick with the staggered set-up. It turns out that narrow tires may not be the best for all Winter conditions. I find black ice and ice under snow to be among the most dangerous Winter driving conditions. They both represent flat and hard surfaces offering noticeable reductions in grip. Under such circumstances, a wider tire with good sipes may be the best option.

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/blog/wide-o...res-for-winter

By the way, the silver wheels look great on your black X3M.
Thanks! Mine is actually Dark Graphite- but it can look black in some pics/angles. I cleaned them for the first time this weekend and it was nothing short of a nightmare. Yours look good and super easy to clean!

There were two others I wanted ahead of this set but one was on back order until spring and the other was 2x the price.

Interesting article - and makes sense with the wider footprint as that’s what off road guys do in sand along with lowering the pressure. Fresh snow seems to respond similarly.
Appreciate 0