View Single Post
      03-19-2020, 04:20 PM   #2
NordicX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40

Congratulations, great looking car! Based on my experience of my X3 30e, which I’ve had for almost 2months now, you will be very happy.

I’m a bit puzzled about the different range standards. In Europe we had the previous NEDC-standard which was VERY optimistic. My previous VW Passat GTE hybrid promised a full electric 50km range but I got around 30-35km in the summer and 20-25km in the winter driving to work to Stockholm city centre (i.e. driving mostly in heavy stop and go city traffic). I have not been driving highway that much full electric, but generally the higher speed seems to hurt the range while being able to avoid the stop and go will increase it.

Driving my X3 30e to work for past couple of months indicates that the corresponding “real” range is some 1.25x the range of the Passat GTE, i.e. around 25-30km(16-19miles) in the winter days around 0 to +4 Celsius (32-39F) and presumably some 35+km(22+ miles) in the summer for my driving. The European new WLTP-standard for the new X3 30e says 41-46m range depending on equipment. I have 20” winter wheels which would indicate that the 41km(25.5miles) is the closer to the indication for my car, and with that in mind the “real” range does not seem so off as I put zero focus on driving economically. The couple of times I’ve driven the car full electric on bit higher speeds without stop and go does not indicate a much range at least. Additionally, the air conditioning / heater is certainly impacting negatively the figures in electric vehicles, that is why the range is so much shorter in the winter.

But anyway, based on above, the EPA-standard seems very strict.

Not sure if it is true but it feels almost like the car “learns” to set the range given the range when I picked up my car seemed a bit shorter vs what it is today when I start my car. Not sure if that is true but it feels like that at least. (Have not spend any time with the manual yet even though I know I should... ) It is a bit hard to compare as the range the car "promises" is different every day assumingly based on outside temperature etc.

Anyway, congratulations again. I’m sure you will be very happy owners, I’m happier today than the day I picked it up…and I was very happy already them. See my initial comments from the thread below.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1690046

Last edited by NordicX3; 03-19-2020 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50