View Single Post
      10-12-2019, 06:09 PM   #1894
prototyp
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X3 M40i

Garage List
Fixed an outrageously tedious, persistent sticky ticky telegraph 'rattle' coming from the cupholder/charge-cubby area. I figured it was probably some fatal design flaw in surface interfaces because BMW still hates cupholders (E90, cough).

Center console lifts up easily.

Chased the source down to underneath the cupholder/cubby part. The cable feeding that forward USB port is a) made from kinda-sticky rubber b) is not wrapped in cloth like other cables and wires c) is guided around almost the entire width of the cupholder part with many stiff little plastic tabs and d) was pinched below one of the guide tabs it was supposed to be wrapped around. It's a NVH field day.

Solution: wrapped all the guide tabs in self-adhesive felt as well as the sticky wire wherever it might come in contact with anything along the way. Re-routed as it was supposed to be and with everything back together it's now dead quiet.

Main challenge and time-suck was dealing with lots of wires and the many little plugs underneath the console.

Last edited by prototyp; 10-12-2019 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 1