View Single Post
      03-04-2018, 04:54 PM   #90
ThomasR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X3 M40i

Garage List
Ok so I added the final touch to the intercooler this weekend. I put the plastic flap I cut back in place with this flex tape:

Which I found at my local Home Depot. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flex-Tap...0405/302634866
It's pretty durable, it's sticky and it's a flat black finish. You can stretch it pretty far before it rips apart.

I used that flex tape only on the top side. In other words when you look from the outside of the bumper through the grill you can see it. I used a black 3M tape on the bottom. Something thin. The intercooler slides against the flex tape going in and out so I knew it needed to be something durable. When you stick it on make sure you have the flap straight down so that the tape does not hinder the flap from the full motion you'll need.

Ok so this last week I've been working a little each night when I got home on my flap 'retainer'. I used some C channel aluminum and cut it into a couple of 11 inch pieces facing each other and clamped them to the diffuser plate by 'interlocking' them. I used some of that Loctite Metal & Concrete Epoxy I used earlier to sandwich in some 1/8 inch flat aluminum into the C channel piece that I tapped as it needed to be a little thicker for that purpose. I used stainless steel M4 allen bolts for clamping them to the diffuser plate.

Then finally stainless M6 allen's to clamp the retaining plate. I added some #20 stainless washers (3 per bolt) as I found without them you can bend the C channel when tightening the M6 bolts on the plate. I just slid the washers in there and when tightening the M4's they held the washers.

Any care to guess what that white plastic plate is?

Last edited by ThomasR; 03-04-2018 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 1