Thread: X3 Brakes
View Single Post
      03-24-2017, 09:36 AM   #78
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Im surprised that people are not considering slightly more agressive brake pads on their stock calipers and rotors.

I just traded in my 2009 328i xdrive for an 2011 X3 35i, both on stock brake rotors, pads, and calipers.

Two days after I got the X3, I was really turned off by the poor braking performace of the X3, and ordered a set of Hawk Street Performance 5.0 brake pads, which are not expensive by the way. Did a full brake pad job, on existing stock blank rotors (even if they have a bit of wear and lip on them). I did the Hawk bedding procedure, and Im now happier with the ratio of brake performance, to power+weight.

Stopping distance have noticeably shortened, and brake bit is definitely better. No noise or dust with the Hawk 5.0 pads - the compound is designed for agressive street use. They are obviously not full track pads, designed for high temps and multiple successive hard stops.

I will soon bleed the brakes too, to try to firm up the pedal a little more.

Full disclosure: Im a HPDE instructor for a couple of local clubs, so I know a thing or two about brake fade, brake performance, brake cooling, and brake compounds. I tried about 5 different brake couponds and did a lot of experimenting and DIY brake ducting on my track prepped 2011 BMW 135i. I also rebuilt the calipers with stainless steel pistons, and high temp dust seals from RacingBrake.com.

March 29, 2016 edit: Dont under estimate the value of a good brake bleed. Got my brake pedal nice and firm, and it grabs in the first inch of pedal travel or so. Right where I want it to be, along with fresh Hawk HPS 5.0 performance pads. Goodness of legendary BMW brake performance is back!!!

Key Features of Hawk HPS 5.0 brake pads (from their marketing), which I can attest to so far:
  • Decreased stopping distances
  • Improved pedal feel from initial pressure through entire pedal stroke
  • Minimal fade under Higher Temps
  • High friction/torque hot or cold
  • Gentle on rotors
  • Very quiet, low noise
  • Improved braking over OE pads
  • Extended pad life

Last edited by dcaron9999; 03-29-2017 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0