bkfastwagon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMgunner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfastwagon View Post
I think in theory "do it all" cars like x3m make lot of sense. The reality however is not as appealing. it means using this $80k m car in situations far less than ideal. It will have to function as a bad weather/ winter beater (why would you get an suv other wise). Eventually you will want to get a cheap winter beater for your mental wellbeing. Then you'll think to yourself "why don't I get a more dedicated sportscar like m3 now that I have a winter beater?" You trade x3m for m3 and the cycle goes on. Just my two cents

The cycles is real: my progression

09’ H3 (beater) + 15’ M4 (fun) -> 16’ G63 (do it all) -> 17’ ZR2 (beater) + 18’ Manual GT3 (fun)

Now I want a “fun daily” which is different than a “beater” and different than a “fun” car. X3M vs M3 is the junction I’m at.. and for good reason. The X3M was an unexpected interesting proposition for many of us!
You are right that x3m is right at the borderline of fun and practical. Which is why I think it will steal away customers from Audi. People who wanted slightly softer and awd version of m3 can now choose x3m instead of say RS5 SB. The new m3 will have optional awd which is worrisome for audi.
Appreciate 0