Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfastwagon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfastwagon View Post
I have e92 m3 and e84 x1(35) as my dd. My wife drives x3 m40i which is also our family car. I have entertained the thought of consolidating those 3 into x3m in the future. I am skeptical though. M40i is stupid fast for a suv and handles pretty well but I still find my old x1 more fun. The size and the lack of road feel make x3 feel less involving. It's a great car but not what I would take out just to drive. Will the full m treatment change this? Perhaps. But I think I will stick with my current combo.
Full m treatment should change it. That's the biggest complaint I had with the F39 that I don't have with the F80. It's crazy to think how much an M feels different when in and driving than a regular version of the same model.
I think in theory "do it all" cars like x3m make lot of sense. The reality however is not as appealing. it means using this $80k m car in situations far less than ideal. It will have to function as a bad weather/ winter beater (why would you get an suv other wise). Eventually you will want to get a cheap winter beater for your mental wellbeing. Then you'll think to yourself "why don't I get a more dedicated sportscar like m3 now that I have a winter beater?" You trade x3m for m3 and the cycle goes on. Just my two cents
There is other reasons for an SUV than a "weather / winter beater". So I don't agree with your post, but it's your opinion and nothing wrong with that.
I guess if you don't mind the extra wear and tear from whatever activity suv's supposed to be better at - could be offroading or picking up in laws from airport- these do it all cars make sense.
Nothing a ceramic coating and xpel wrap can't fix. What's the point of having cars if you care about wear and tear so much? And, again, going off road and picking up in laws are not the only two (in addition to your other reason) one needs an SUV.
Just to be clear, I have nothing against Suv's. In fact we have 2 (x1 and x3)! They are great at what they do and I have hard time justifying putting a stiffer suspension and lowering them for better handling. But I have no doubt x3m will be great and will defy logic and physics. Congrats in advance if you're getting one.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134947.00