View Single Post
      12-14-2018, 05:37 PM   #90
Mdog97
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3 View Post
I had one extra question regarding 8AT vs PDK? I have yet to drive a PDK car but having owned a E92 M3 DCT I always felt the 8AT was a bit slow especially on downshifts in comparison. What is your feeling in regards to shift responsiveness, more so assuming Manual or Sport+ modes vs the PDK? This was one area that was slightly having me keep an eye on maybe a 2020 GTS if they are available but it seems like the M40i has the superior drivetrain all around from most comments.
I guess I'd give a "horses for courses"-type answer on this one. 2 caveats first: these are my first personal experiences with the ZF 8AT (in the BMW) and the PDK (in the Porsche), and I only have about 1k miles and 6k miles on each, respectively, none on a racetrack. With that said, I'd say the PDK feels very snappy and responsive, both up and down, especially when the car was in "Sport" mode. Awesome when on the highway, going up the on-ramp and having fun from 20->65+ (ahem). Also awesome when popping downshifts to pass, and rev matching downshifts all the way down exit ramps from highway speeds. I was really impressed with the responsiveness. It felt super-crisp, and well tuned.

However, the "hole" from a dead or slow-rolling start that I mentioned before in around-town driving sucked away all of the fun factor, more and more as time wore on. Again, I think it's the combination of the engine mapping, e-gas mapping and PDK all together, but to me it was a poor tradeoff for my intended use. Maybe on a track I might prefer the bias of the Porsche system, but for a street car (really a street small SUV), I far prefer the 8AT + BMW mapping in the M40i.

I haven't really spent much time in Sport+ with the BMW, as Sport seems more than fine for my driving. (Except one day, accidentally, when I was actually in Sport+ but didn't know it...I thought the car had gone insane, hanging out at 3100 rpm all over the place.) Also crisp, but more snappy off the line, perhaps a little different overall feel than the Macan. Upshifts in the BMW don't feel like F1-style "banging up a gear", unless you're pretty hard on it...maybe the Porsche has a bit more of that feel. Zero issues with power or torque delivery that I've encountered. Overall it feels stronger off the line than the Macan S, but 355 peak HP vs. 340 in the Macan is only part of the story here.

I still have ASD turned on on the X3, but am considering coding it off. I had it coded off on my M3 and didn't miss it at all. Definitely a more visceral exhaust sound/sensation from the Macan though, with or without ASD.

Hope this is helpful.

/in before people start chiming in with "go drive them both and decide for yourself"....
Appreciate 0