12-14-2018, 01:56 PM   #89
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdog97 View Post
Sorry - forgot to add - I'm 6'2", 260 lbs, size 48L suit (= long torso, shortish legs). The Macan was a tight squeeze - much like a fighter jet cockpit - while the M40i is definitely MUCH roomier. Two friends of mine rode in the Macan with me to and from the Newport yacht show earlier this year, and both remarked at how small of a car it was, particularly for someone as large as me.

Back to the Macan vs. X3 - I forgot to mention that the technology in the M40i is current state of the art, while the Porsche technology in the current Macan seems, well, rather dated.
  • incredibly busy center console with loads of toggles, pushbuttons, etc. - everyone notices that. The reality of ownership: in my experience, once you've picked your climate settings, you only ever use like 1-2 of those buttons. It is going all glass with the new model, to mimic the current Panorama sedan and (I think) the new Cayenne
  • the PCM system for bluetooth, navigation, music, etc. is really old school (the interface, specifically) and sometimes slow. The nav system reminds me of the nav that was in my 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser
  • while it has some voice commands, like Mercedes it's just not as versatile and refined as the current BMW iDrive system
  • the backup camera takes a solid second or two to come on when you select reverse - gets more and more annoying as time goes on
  • you can't get the rear hatch to close from the fob - just not possible (standard on Mercedes, code-able on BMWs)
  • there is no such thing as consumer/non-dealer coding on Porsche
After quizzing two dealers, I finally found a third dealer who could turn shut off the annoying loud "beep beep beep" sound whenever the rear hatch opens and closes (sounds like a garbage or delivery truck backing up)...so that's a plus....
I had one extra question regarding 8AT vs PDK? I have yet to drive a PDK car but having owned a E92 M3 DCT I always felt the 8AT was a bit slow especially on downshifts in comparison. What is your feeling in regards to shift responsiveness, more so assuming Manual or Sport+ modes vs the PDK? This was one area that was slightly having me keep an eye on maybe a 2020 GTS if they are available but it seems like the M40i has the superior drivetrain all around from most comments.
Appreciate 0