View Single Post
      09-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #91
SimonRostin
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 530iA Touring -01 E39

Garage List
Okay, so we got the car back last thursday and now I've had the time to reflect about where the differences of the x3 pre LCI and x4 are. Here's my thoughts:

Exterior (front facia):
The looks of the x4 attracts me so much more than the x3, I think the x3 looks to nice, and a bit to old. So here the win goes to the x4

Interior:
The x4 interior is so much more luxurious. Both in the terms of the look, and the feel of it. The x3 felt less luxurious than my 2001 e39 5-series, and that's not okay for a modern car.
In the matter of seat comfort the x4 wins by miles. The x3's seats felt like sitting on a hardwood floor in my opinion. The x4 seats is much more comfortable.

Tech:
The x3 we had was with the new iDrive system so not much to compare there, it did have the navigation though. According to me, it's not worth the extra ~$2000 (20 000 Swedish crowns). The x3 did have the HiFi-system though, and I stand by what I said in my review. If you like audio, GET THE HIFI SYSTEM. It does make a difference, and the standard system is quite boring actually.

Chassi and ride:
The x3 was a standard 2.0d, and I didn't like the ride hight, I felt that I was sitting to high to get a sporty feel of it. It also was way to wobbly for my taste, comfortable, sure, but it was to much of a compromise of the BMW sporty feel. The x4 seating position is a bit lower, but it feels ALOT lower, it quite feels like sitting in a standard car. I like that. The ride is a bit harder as well, but not so hard that it compromises the ride comfort. The x4 with the 3.0d also wins in power of course. I would go with that engine every day of the week.

So, overall the x4 is simply, tighter, prettier, faster, cooler and better in my taste. If only my father would have chosen the HiFi-system
Appreciate 0