View Single Post
      04-20-2022, 07:14 PM   #260
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
On that color the lack of rails makes a huge difference. They do not bother me too much on my dark graphite metallic because they blend in more...
Agree they’re not quite as noticeable with darker paints, which is one of the reasons I went with BSM on my 2020. Also, if one chooses to pursue rail deletion later the rubber windshield trim (which doesn’t stop at the roofline) doesn’t stand out as much either.

But I still can’t stand the rail aesthetic regardless of paint color…

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
...I guess some people use them which is why BMW includes them in the build? I haven’t seen anyone use them in person though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoJoRo View Post
They do actually make for great "grab handles" when on the small step ladder washing the roof ...
No doubt some may want roof rails to carry cargo or as a grab bar - and I have no problem with BMW offering them as an option. But I do take issue with them being forced on every build as standard whether they’re wanted or not. We’ve owned three F25s, two G01s, and three F97s and never once used or wanted them. Maybe BMW’s market analyses have shown the majority of X3/X5 owners like them, so even if most of those owned base models they just wanted to simplify production across the board?

But Porsche, Jaguar, Maserati, Lamborghini and Range Rover make roof rails an option (see below), and F96 owners even have that choice here in the US, so this isn’t a complex or bespoke production issue. It also appears the XM recently shown testing at the Ring has a slick top without rails. So hopefully BMW (or at least M) will relax its stance for 2023+ models and make them an option - at least for their true M lines where aerodynamics and performance should be a higher priority for M Enthusiasts rather than roof cargo...

Performance SUV Mnfrs offering roof rails as options:
Porsche – Macan GTS $410; Cayenne GTS $830
Jaguar- F-Pace SVR $400
Maserati- Levante Trofeo Price N/A but shown as an option
Lamborghini- Urus (doesn’t even have rails?)
Range Rover- Sport SVR Carbon Edition $1,400
Appreciate 1
HoJoRo315.50