View Single Post
      11-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #16
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Some of us don't want to drive cheap vehicles ever as life is too short to drive crap vehicles. I used to do the winter beater thing and got tired of driving a vehicle I didn't like for half a year. With the upcoming G80 M3/M4 having AWD that makes them a consideration for sure but ground clearance will still be an issue in areas that get deep snow. Also with this vehicle I feel a get most of the benefits of an M-car without having to worry ever about scraping over steep curbs, parking blocks, steep inclines, etc as the ground clearance makes it much more of a drive it and don't worry about it ownership experience.
Yeah, no more crap cars. Actually, by trying to get an all one car you end up compromising. The X3M, great M characteristics, but does it provide the same amount of driving experience than a true M3. And for winter driving, you're gonna need to switch out to winter wheels/tires and then it may be capable but I'd still be hesitant to drive my $80K X3M in really bad winter condition just because of other drivers. And on the family hauling and space front, the X3M just doesn't have as much room as the X5M and X7 M50i.

Depending on the stage of life you're in family wise and financially wise, having a specific car for specific reasons make sense. Can you do a beater in the winter and splurge in the summer on the nice M3, sure, but that's no fun.

I think the SUV sized for your needs can function perfectly for all year round driving. However, for true track days or B-road driving the SUV isn't going to cut it even if it's an X3M. I just think there's something to be said about being in a true sports car that has you sitting a foot or so from the road and slinging it around corners. You can't replicate the experience you get from wringing out an M3, M4, or better yet Porsche.

I thought about trading in my X3 M40i for an X3M, but then thought of the above and decided to use money allocated for that upgrade to start my Porsche GT4 fund for next year.

Remember it's all owner dependent so to each their own. Just get out there and drive.
Appreciate 3