Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
Hardparker are you torquing these new bolts to the factory 75Nm? Also factory bolts are supposed to be angle torqued after to 45 degrees then 10 degrees. I figure these don't need to be?
The factory 75 Nm (55 ft. lb) and angle torque is adequate if you like. I've been using 65 ft. lb. (88 Nm) because the bolts are slightly longer and will take a little more stretch. Plus, it's easier and more straight forward than the angle torque procedure. In the end, either is fine.

The NordLock washers make it impossible for the fastener to loosen as long there's reasonable stretch and torque on the bolt. If you ever loosen them, be prepared to hear the nasty "pinging" sound that the washers make as the ramps release. It's kind of scary and sounds like something broke, but it's normal. The NordLocks work by requiring slightly more torque than they were tightened to initially to loosen them, due to the ramp design.

The bolts are reusable as long as you don't exceed ~100 Nm (~74 ft. lb.) when releasing them, which you shouldn't if you tighten using either method above. If you do loosen and tighten them, it's advised to lube in between the washer halves. I always use anti-seize compound there and on the bolt threads and shoulders where they face the brake mounting tabs, too. Just to make it corrosion resistant and easier to loosen next time.

Good luck with your install!

Last edited by hardparker; 04-18-2020 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 1