06-20-2019, 07:18 PM   #3
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
I have friends who like cars but they love putting decals and M badge on non M BMW and re-badging Mercedes with higher end models etc.

It bothers me to see this but I didn't want to hurt their feelings so I've been keeping my mouth shut. It is their car after all.

To me, it de-values the car especially when it doesn't have the right equipment and looks to back it up.

I'm just curious who they're trying to mislead? Certainly not a car enthusiast. A casual observer won't be able to tell the difference or know what it means. There's no significance for most people.To them a BMW is a BMW or a Mercedes is a Mercedes. Most people don't know what M or AMG signify.

So, what is the motivation behind this? So why do it and why is there a huge market for this?
Pretty much to make them selves feel better about their car. As you said, average people won't even know what those badges signify and car people would and would look down on it. So it really only serves to make themselves feel better about their car, as if they could afford a higher end model.
Appreciate 4
GenXer1363.00
King Rudi13154.00
E90SLAM1963.00
arashir164.00