View Single Post
      07-23-2020, 02:05 AM   #69
agent_orange
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F25 X3 30d, 2021 F87 M2C

Just had an interesting experience with brakes that relate to what ThomasR found as well.

Since my 2011 F25 with 183,000km is just starting to get unreliable, I bought a 2014 one with m-sport, lots of options and only 50,000km to replace it.
The newer one still had OEM BMW discs and pads and when I picked it up I was very surprised at just how decent the brakes were at normal town driving speeds, especially initial bite which I think was actually slightly better than that on the 2011 one with big brakes front and rear.
Figured out pretty quickly that my impression of the stock brakes being dismal was due to the cheap generic aftermarket 'low dust' pads that were on the 2011 one when I bought it.

Had already planned before even buying it to swap the big brakes to the newer car and the stock brakes to the older one to sell it with, so carried out the 2x installs and ISTA bleeds the other week, but did wonder whether I had wasted a fair bit of $ on the big brakes.
They do work better under harder braking from higher speeds and/or downhill where the stock ones go a bit wooden past the high initial bite, and dust is virtually zero with Carbotech 1521 pads I keep telling myself to justify it...

ThomasR, I would have thought that with BMW pads you would not have lost initial bite like you did find?

Last edited by agent_orange; 07-23-2020 at 02:10 AM.. Reason: Context, grammar.
Appreciate 0