Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Great story! Just to clarify I'm not bored with my car I'm in love with it and plan to keep it forever.

I AM however filled with a giant itch to get a classic car at some point. It will likely be something obscure and French so it will also then be broken often!!! Haha! So your commentary definitely resonates.

That being said the primary plan for me is to make my own current modern car a "classic car" as the years go by. After all these cars are owned by someone originally and my idea is to age with my car. So in 2036 (assuming I am alive lol) my 1M will be 25 years old and definitely a "classic car". My primary point was why people are so afraid to keep a car. In 2019 many people seem to rush out and sell/trade a car the second it passes warranty. EVEN if they love the car—-it's something I don't understand.

Thanks for your post
There are some great cars out there that are simply cost-prohibitive to own. There's a reason why a $200k Mercedes CL65 is now selling for $20k. My buddy owns one of my all-time halo vehicles, a VW Touareg V10 diesel. He also happens to be a VW master tech so he can wrench it himself and has parts readily available at cost. For the layperson to maintain the same vehicle would be nearly cost-prohibitive. Hell, I had a 2010 Audi S4 WITH a warranty and the clutch felt weak from the day I bought it (CPO). I called the dealer out of curiosity to see how much it would cost to replace. The answer? $5,000. That's a truly insane amount of money for a daily driver.

It always comes to a point where the repairs are possible and may not cost exactly as much as a new vehicle over the course of a year but you have to deal with downtime of being without a car (no loaners at an indy shop), the unpredictability of not know when or how expensive the next repair will be, and the cost-benefit of constantly repairing an aging and increasingly obsolete vehicle.

I went through this with my bicycle recently. I was talking to a high school friend (who now works for Cannondale) about bikes and wanting to fix up the bike I rode in high school (middle of the road Giant). It needs a rear hub and a front fork rebuild. His point was that having those items addressed would probably cost me $400 - roughly $350 more than the bike is actually worth. His point was that it makes much more sense to put that $400 toward a much more modern bike. I did just that and I'm thrilled I did so. That same logic applies to cars.
It costs money and patience to maintain a car one really loves; no doubt about it.

The way I see it however is that I'd rather spend $3k on brakes for a car I love than spend $3k in payments for a car I don't love.