View Single Post
      07-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #119
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

Man what a thread.

IMO it's not right or wrong to jump from one car to another. It depends why and what's fueling your motivation.

If you're doing it because you feel like you need the latest and greatest every few years and that new infotainment system is going to transform your life or you just want to be in the new G-series M3 because only losers drive the last gen M3 then yea you're probably jumping for the wrong reasons and a bit of a moron. But it's your choice and right to be that moron and make those moves.

If you dream of various cars and it's been a long-standing goal to own various models for various lengths of time, or maybe you realize that different cars are better suited to your needs, maybe you're upgrading as you progress through life financially, etc. then why would you ever judge someone for wanting to move on and progress down the path as goals/life changes etc. come to fruition?

The first "dream" car I bought myself was a 2006 WRX. Kept it for 6 years but barely drove it the majority of those years as the car was at "home" with my parents after I moved to NYC. I would drive it on some weekends and holidays. Eventually I got a place in life where I wanted a different car from a comfort/life stage perspective and jumped into an Audi S5. It was kind of a boring drive compared to the WRX but I still appreciated its more "mature" presence and I never once regretted getting rid of the WRX. But 2 years into ownership I sold the S5 for an M4 because I wanted to reclaim some of that fun and because an M4 (well, M3, but tomato tomahto) was one of those "aspirational" dream cars on my list as a kid. 2 years of ownership, I sold the M4 because I wanted something to really push the performance and ownership envelope and was in a position to buy a brand new GT3...but the M4 is what elevated my love for owning these cars and made me want something more and made me willing to spend the money in the GT3.

By your original post, I would be someone who jumps around from car to car (technically that's 4 cars across 6 years starting from the day I dropped the WRX for the S5). But it's part of the journey and passion for driving that's fueled my desire to keep upgrading and find different cars that fit my needs (err really "wants", no one "needs" a GT3).

I'll be keeping the GT3 for 5 years. Already have a deposit on a 992.2 RS that will replace her unless I make the financial decision to try and keep both 5 years down the road, which isn't completely off the table but not very likely.

I love the GT3 more than I loved any of the others; hell even more than them all combined. I spent months hunting down an allocation, it's the only car I specced myself, did Performance Center delivery and brought my Dad. But I also know that in 5 years I'll be ready for the next level of performance and at the end of the day it's just a car. The passion will continue, with the next car.

Also, if/when I have kids, they'd have to pry a Porsche from my cold dead hands before it's something I would hand off to them.