View Single Post
      03-30-2020, 09:39 AM   #15
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

I've owned the 2018 X5 PHEV, 330e, 2014 i3, and now two 2020 530e. First, I found the EPA range to be far more accurate than the European ranges. My EV ranges have been very close to the EPA numbers and lower than the European numbers. Second, the 530e is a far better buy than any other BMW PHEV because BMW 's MSRP for the 530e is the same as for the 530i. Plus, the deals on the 5 sedans are far better than any of the SUV's. My 530e (as contrasted to my wife's) is a "stripper" with no options and it's final cost to me after all the discounts, incentives, tax credits and State grant is $35K. And a stripper 530e is VERY well equipped. I happily traded the extra ground clearance and carrying capacity of the X5 for the comfort and handling of the 5 sedan. YMMV. Third, I think the current PHEV's with at least 20 mi EV range is a smarter buy for many people than any of the full EV's currently on offer. After 3 months of ownership, I have yet to start the ICE engine in my all-urban useage. My wife commutes 3 days/week and she occasionally has to run the ICE for about 5 miles on the Interstate part of her commute. She is still on her first tank of gasoline over the last four months. We have the effect of a full EV at a far lower cost than an equivalent model of EV (iPace, e-Tron) and a full ICE for any out of town trip we may take, once the current lock down is over.

For the question about advice on the pre-LCI X5: It's a good vehicle with no particular foibles. Just understand that it's an SUV with the attendant advantages and disadvantages of that class of vehicle. If that's the direction you are going, I recommend waiting for the LCI, which will have two-axle air suspension to give a better ride and a 35 mile, or so, EPA EV range.
Appreciate 0