11-20-2017, 08:12 AM   #17
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
If you want a real off road vehicle, get a Jeep Wrangler or a Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road with a ladder frame and a transfer case that lets you select 4L, maybe even a manually locking diff and a winch. It is not meant to collect a moose in a swamp.
This is a luxury all wheel drive car. It will go through a muddy field, and from the looks of it, you can drive on secondary roads and in parking lots in the US northeast and Canada and still manage to open all four doors, not bottom out on poorly cleared ice and snow covered streets. You can take it to ski hills and not worry about the 3 m wide and 15cm deep potholes. That is what it is meant for.
While I agree with your premise, the Jeep and Toyota are both better suited for making into a serious off road vehicle; primarily because the aftermarket parts are there. With that said though, I'd go head to head with either vehicle in its stock form with a BMW X5 and from what I've seen/experienced, the G01 X3 would be just as capable. Short of scratching up the paint, I'd take my X5 down nearly any trail here in Colorado; most off road driving is more about the driver than the vehicle.

This is Black Bear Pass going into Telluride, CO; I've done this.
Name:  Black Beaar.JPG
Views: 3673
Size:  140.2 KB

I wouldn't do this:
Name:  Jeep Extreme.JPG
Views: 3797
Size:  119.8 KB
Appreciate 0