05-19-2021, 12:27 PM   #8
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozumasbullitt View Post
I am interested as well. The other options seem to soften up the springs and in turn, impact handling. If these give a slight drop and improve handling, pending the ride quality doesn't drastically suffer, they may be the solution for people that don't want to sacrifice handling for appearance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
My first thoughts - that rear spring design is very similar to the stock design with many coils added to a progressive spring rate, meaning the ride is probably not going to be the greatest and hitting the bump stop will be an issue. Compare to other aftermarket springs with a much different design. But hey I could be wrong, Dinan usually puts out good stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozumasbullitt View Post
I am interested as well. The other options seem to soften up the springs and in turn, impact handling. If these give a slight drop and improve handling, pending the ride quality doesn't drastically suffer, they may be the solution for people that don't want to sacrifice handling for appearance.
The stock front springs are linear. The stock rear springs are 2-stage (I guess you could technically call them progressive but not in the traditional way).

Both Dinan springs are 2-stage, but behave linear under most operating conditions.

Other options on the market from what I can gather are straight progressive. Lots of articles out there comparing the 2 styles but Dinan has always opted for linear style springs for a couple of reasons— predictability for one but also it rewards the driver with the most driver feel/input. Both are what you would desire for spirited driving and driving enjoyment in general. In regards to ride quality— paired with the bumpstops— stock suspension travel is retained so ride quality is largely unaffected. Generally speaking we have used the same suspension philosophy for decades and the press reviews are pretty consistent in that regard with glowing reviews and usually what is raved about the most. The X3M in my opinion is no exception to this.
Appreciate 2