View Single Post
      04-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
mike_MAN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3

Comfort Access Not Working Properly

I have a 2015 X3 and the Comfort Access stopped working properly.
The doors will unlock with a touch on the inside handle, but the doors won't lock when the ribbon is touched, forcing me to use my key to lock the doors.

At the same time, the remote doesn't work like it use to. I'd have to have the key up close to the handle of the doors to lock it.
Also, the car mostly doesn't detect the key in my pocket so I have to put up up against the steering column for it to detect and then I can start the car.
All these issues are super annoying.

I brought it into BMW and am on the CPO extended warranty.
They told me I need to replace the "Comfort Access Module". They also said it is covered under the CPO warranty but there is a $50 deductible. They'd have to order the part for the next day.

I've read on here that they should replace this for free under warranty. I suppose this is where the CPO warranty is limited to. Also read on here that Comfort Access does not like the cold. It was always garaged in NY before my ownership.

Anybody have experience with replacing the CA modules on these cars?

4/26: Just got back from the dealer. Tech describes that they hooked it up to the computer and fault codes were found for the CAS: (codes were looked up on BMWFaultCodes)
930704: CAS: Undervoltage at input terminal 30<38
93076B: Deactivation of terminal 30B: upper startability limit reached
93076C: Deactivation of terminal 30B: upper startability limit reached, but deactivation preventer or legal load/consumer active
9308B0: Identification transmitter: undervoltage, battery
They seemed to think that by fixing this issue it would also fix the issue of the car detecting the remote.
They charged the battery and replaced the CAS module (61-35-6-809-372) and programmed the new part. They said the CAS still acts weirdly (sometimes working on demand and sometimes not), but compared it to another F25 X3 and it performs the same. Maybe the car gets confused when you test it repeatedly over a short period.
Before this, I felt like the CAS worked flawlessly. Not sure what's going on here...

They also changed the battery on one of my fob as the other didn't need changing. I still have to put it up against the steering column before I could start the car. I'll give it some more time to do more testing and see, but so far, I'm still disappointed. I might just change the batteries myself to be sure its fresh and do more testing. Another update to come.

I also didn't have to pay anything and was covered under the warranty. Advisor said the "kind of CPO warranty doesn't have a deductible." Good thing they found my warranty in the system.

FYI: I bought this car from a private sale so that makes me the 3rd owner. This is the only way that a CPO warranty could be transferred (after paying a fee and submitting a form). A service guy told me flat out that CPO warranties could never be transferred, then I showed him the form. Don't always believe what those monkeys say!

Last edited by mike_MAN; 04-26-2019 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0