05-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
Is this your own interpretation of it or something you got directly from BMW?? I only ask b/c this topic has had so many different threads where the opinions have been all over the place (including the one from the other forum with you on it) I think BMW has made us all start guessing and guessing incorrectly.

The only think I will say on your post is this.... you have not accounted for the differences between the 28i and 35i with SAP! They clearly have a different setup b/c the 28i does NOT get driving dynamics with the SAP...only the 35i gets that b/c you need the sport auto tranny for that. (see link here: http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513681

The other thing is this....as many people who have the 35i with SAP and no DHP are reporting, their idrive is allowing them to setup the chassis control in addition to the throttle control, and their own experiences are that of the suspension getting tighter. its not just one or two people saying that...many are. I take delivery on Monday so I'll let you know....my gut is telling me that the DHP setup is more advanced in that it not only sets things up in a stiffer/sportier manner, but it allows each wheel to behave completely differently whereas with the SAP 35i, it may get stiffer but each wheel stays the same.

What i'd really like to see on this is an OFFICIAL BMW announcement...not that I'm flaming your post b/c you have done a lot of posting on this, but I just think tha twe are all still guessing and BMW needs to clarify.
Well, yes, I thought the sophistication of the entire system--and my understanding of it therein--was implied in my 4 paragraph essay .
You are right, though. I did forget the 28i aspect of things; I even knew that. Whoops. There's really no telling why BMW has done it this way, but all I know is that this description is the way I ordered the car, and Dynamic Damper Control is still an option that is supposed to be exclusive to the Dynamic Handling Package.

This information did come from both my sales associate at the dealership and the superintendent of the service department. In a panic when I originally ordered my car, I noticed that the DHP was not listed on Track My BMW. It was also not listed on my showroom sticker, but it was on the bill and the contract where I signed. I had called my sales associate to confirm I did receive the DHP before I took delivery, and he confirmed via a dealer-BMWNA server that it was, in fact, featured on the vehicle. Many people who ordered the car with the SAP 35i and no DHP think they have the DHP (or its features) by mistake because the configurator does not add the switches unless the DHP is added. But when selecting the SAP 35i, the switches should technically show up if BMWNA would get their asses moving and call the geek squad or something!

I know this is the way that the 35i works.
Appreciate 0