View Single Post
      02-03-2021, 03:48 PM   #1
kocsis
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3Mcomp

Comparing X3M to Tesla Y - apples and oranges

I recently test drove (quite extensively) each of the 2020 X3M, X3M40i and the Tesla Y Performance. Amazing contrast. The Tesla is essentially an appliance that ferries its occupants from to their destinations. There is no engagement with the "driver" - no aural feedback (i.e. engine noise) or tactile feedback (i.e. pedal feel) to acceleration; completely different feel to breaking (once you let up your foot, the vehicle slows and almost stops); entire cabin feels detached. The sole display in the cabin is the center 15" screen - by not having dials and controls, there is a complete detachment of the car's performance from the driver. Due to the low center of gravity because of the battery array, the agility of the X3 is completely absent. While the "superior" acceleration of the Tesla is touted, there is no sense of exhilaration during acceleration.
This is, I believe, intentional on the part of Tesla - consistent with the auto-driving aspects of the car, which are being continually refined. Nothing wrong with the car - I suspect most people drive because they have to get to places, not because they enjoy the experience. But any comparison from the standpoint of driving enthusiasts is completely misplaced.
Appreciate 2
kzg19691299.00
AlexFL7837.00