View Single Post
      04-14-2022, 12:45 PM   #6
lagunablue1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / F97 X3M

Not sure how much belief I would put in anything written in the Sun- especially an opinion piece. I did a quick CTRL+F through the referenced 271 page report (link: https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ec...n-Plan-eng.pdf)

There was nothing in there to support the monetary figures suggested by the writer. In fact, the only reference to broadening the existing tax is on pg 192:

Quote:
Consider adopting an approach that combines financial incentives for the purchase of ZEVs with fees for the purchase of fuel-inefficient ICE vehicles.

Broaden Canada’s existing Green Levy (Excise Tax) for Fuel Inefficient Vehicles to include additional ICE vehicle types, such as pickup trucks. A sliding scale for the implementation of this Green Levy should be developed based on the emissions produced from different vehicles. Revenue from a broadened Green Levy could increase available funding for ZEV incentives for individuals and organizations without limiting the fleet size and while encouraging smaller vehicles of all fuel types.

Carefully consider the impacts on and supports for low-income households and other vulnerable populations when exploring changes to the Green Levy and ZEV incentives.
So yes, the report suggests that new fuel-inefficient vehicles may be taxed at a higher rate when purchased new, at some point uncertain point in time. The article is written as though the tax would be an annual expense. I also don't think anyone that can afford an X3M would be so affected by an additional $1,000-$2,000 tax increase that it would deter them from their purchase.

As always, I encourage anyone to conduct their own independent review of source documents prior to jumping to any conclusions or relying on opinion pieces.
Appreciate 0