View Single Post
      10-04-2018, 09:49 AM   #11
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

Concerning the Homelink integrated on the rear view mirror.
The garage door opener manufacturers changed the protocol on the transmitters making them more safe. They had rolling codes prior, but now it's a different protocol.
BMW changed the board of the UGDO in 2011, but it can be a hit & miss. As an example, I changed my garage door opener with a new model last year - It's a Liftmaster. On their page it states that the 3 series is compatible from 2012 or so. The X3 is OK from 2011.
My F25 was able to take the code. My e92 was not (it's a 2012). What I did, I sourced a mirror from a wrecked car on ebay - it was 2014 or so. The mirror looked almost identical with the one in the 335. So I opened both up, and replaced the board from the other one. Problem solved. Cost was about 40 bux or so.
The other alternative that was brought up is that bridge. I was toying around with this idea, but I noticed some not so good reviews on line. Plus it's more expensive. Now I have a reliable UGDO in my e92 as well.
So it could be that some mirrors on 2011 cars might have an older generation board in the mirror, and hence it will not take the code, although when programming it looks like it does - this is what happened on my e92 anyway.
Changing the board in the mirror is really easy - turn the mirror half turn counter clockwise. Here one has to be careful as not to break the windshield
Then unplug the wires. Once the mirror is out, you need those plastic trim panel tools, and slowly release the tabs that are along the mirror side. This will open the mirror. The board is held in place by couple tiny philips screws if i remember correctly. And there is also a wire attached to it. Just unplug it.
The old board and the new board - they look identical, but probably they have different electronic components. Also, the old board, accepts a 2 wire plug, the new board has 3 wires. But the plug on both boards are identical, so it can accept a 2,3 or 4 plug wire.
As I said, I had no issues, and this is now for over 1 year.
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0