10-14-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
It's not that they will, but they can affect the vehicle. It says to apply the oil sparingly, and I did, but after time with the vacuum side pulling on the filter, slowly pulled some oil down the turbo air inlet tube, collecting on the turbo blades. Over time, I noticed this was slowly building up. I do not have any expert documentation to back this, but when the oil collects on one side of the blades more than the other blades, it should/will cause the blades to be off balance and vibrate. In time, the shaft bearing for the turbo blades will offset and destroy the turbo.

I personally only know of one vehicle that had this happen to, and he is my friend. The mechanic he went to showed him the turbo and all the damage it did when it let loose. (How many revs does your turbo spin per minute ?) My friend and I have thrown out our oiled filters and will not buy another.

Many prefer the oil filters, and that's fine. Everyone has a right for their preferences. And .. I have mine.
These seem like really valid points. I can easily imagine how a turbo could/would self-destruct.

I've never added oil to a K&N. I understand that they are pre-oiled. I don't live in an extremely dusty environment, although that probably doesn't make my vehicle immune to intake pollutants/particles.
Appreciate 0