View Single Post
      10-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
Ylinen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

Thumbs up Android on my 2016 BMW X3

Like many; I was frustrated with BMW not supporting Android. I looked at many other vehicles and almost bought a Volvo XC60.

Instead I purchased a new head unit that comes with Android 7.1 and allows me to use the I-Drive completely.

See here: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...ceBeautifyAB=0

The unit came within 15 days. The one downside was there was no documentation or support contact info.

I did internet search and youtube video search and found similar units, but they did not have Andorid 7.1 and the larger RAM.

Installation was fairly simple. No cutting of any wires. I did order a GPS splitter cable from AVINUSA.

The hardest part was getting the cable bundle out of the way to slide the BMW computer back in to the panel.

I also had to go in to the Setting menu and in to ADMINISTRATOR mode (Youtube Video to see how on AVINUSA) to pick the style of I-Drive menu for Android I wanted. You can also change the splash screen and many other settings.

I am now able to run WAZE on my screen. I can at the same time listen to any I-Drive audio too.

You can also watch videos from a USB drive or if you have LTE watch streaming.

While not a perfect solution; I like it. Far better than what BMW provides.

To switch back and forth between the BMW I-Drive and the Android side, you just hold the MENU Button down for 3 seconds.

So far; I can not install Android Auto. The device profile is not recognized by the Google APP Store and says it is not compatible on the device. I could sideload the APK, but I would rather run WAZE natively so I have all the features. I am also part of the WAZE beta so I can sideload those betas and check them out.

Check it out.
Appreciate 2
Crassus229.00
plymjack120.00