View Single Post
      07-22-2014, 10:36 PM   #11
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yocal
I never doubted the N20's ability to get me from A to B. The cabin is very quiet and you cannot hear the engine inside, so "engine noise" is irrelevant. I'm also almost always playing music in the car. I drive in New Jersey (and not on wide open roads somewhere in the hillside in Spain like this), so I have no need for fast acceleration or racing. More than 90% of my driving will be in ECO PRO mode.

This happened to me last year on another forums, in a different context. I was discussing a pair of high-end floorstanding speakers and subwoofer, and everyone on the forums was pushing a more expensive, higher spec config (bigger speakers and more powerful sub). Came home, setup the speakers and I was blown away at how amply powerful (more than adequate) they were.

This is the exact same thing here. The N20 is a perfectly capable engine and $3,000 for the N55 is a completely unnecessary upgrade, at least for me, personally. Not only do I get a ~1 MPG saving, but I'm also not throwing away $3,000.
This is interesting. You bought an X4, not an X3, and are justifying the I4 based on utility/practicality.

...but this has to be (when contrasted against the X3 and 4GC) one of the least practical/utilitarian cars in the BMW lineup.

IMHO- the I6 is the FIRST box you should check if you're getting a "sports activity coupe".

I'd wager that you'll do just that in <12 months (if you own the X4 that long).
Appreciate 0