View Single Post
      03-18-2022, 08:27 AM   #11
BrockDM
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by suby01 View Post
Have you tested your E85? What ethanol percentage is it at? I am assuming you are not using full race E85 at $10 a gallon?
Some pump E85 will run "harder" I don't know the term in cold temperatures.
I did experience issues in under 45 degrees with certain fuels and certain types ran better.
Yep. E85 is not ideal in cold climates for various reasons. I'm no expert but this is just what I've gathered over the years...

- As ambient temps get colder, the turbos run more efficiently and in return can make more boost with less effort. On a hot summer day you are less likely to meet target boost than on a cool day. Hence the term "boost weather".
- Well in order to make more boost you need more fuel. In doing so the fuel system has to work harder to meet the demand.
- Ethanol in general runs the fuel system pretty hard so when you add the cold into the mix the system is working even harder.
- Now on top of that, winter blends of e85 tend to drop in quality so you're making all this boost and timing but the fuel and overall octane is worse...

It's quite the perfect storm that is a major headache for tuners to find the right balance for. If possible, it's best to just run 93 in the winter and save yourself the headaches...
Appreciate 0