BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestle View Post
Isn't leasing basically just renting the car? I'm a little confused why someone would take BMWFS to court over this?
Because you're free to purchase the vehicle at any point during the lease. As mentioned above, some people are confused by this as they don't realize that only you or a first party dealer can make that purchase under most manufacturer's lease agreements . Normally, this wouldn't matter but as leases come up that were written prior to the current market the residuals are drastically higher than they should be.

So you have an individual like in the article that wants to trade in a lease but not purchase it themselves. Maybe they don't have the money for the full purchase or they don't want to get hit with the remaining tax. Now they're mad that they're getting short changed and it's not benefiting them.
On the contrary, I feel as if BMW is changing the rules mid game to take advantage of unprecedented times. While they may have the contractual right, this doesn't go a long way to building customer loyalty. They can have the "if you don't like it, then don't lease attitude" and the market is definitely in their favor. But what goes around, comes around. This combined with the way dealers are opening bloating MFs and marking up cars just reeks of greed to me. But you could call it capitalism. Though when they are flooded with cars that aren't moving, I won't feed Bad
Appreciate 0