View Single Post
      09-09-2021, 06:16 AM   #148
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoJoRo View Post
Beautiful photos again mate ... your (Wife's) BGM in these shots look almost like Terminator 2 "liquid metal"
Thanks, HoJoRo - and appreciate the Terminator reference as we enjoyed those movies back in the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny_RDM View Post
MaxWell congrats on new car... You say this one got better torque??? What they change on engine?
Thanks, Lenny_RDM . Here's an excerpt from the BMW US Press release back in June regarding the torque -

The new 2022 BMW X3 M and X4 M

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – June 8, 2021…BMW is proud to announce the updated 2022 BMW X3 M and X4 M. Two years after the launch of the first BMW X3 M Sports Activity Vehicle and the X4 M Sports Activity Coupe by BMW M GmbH, both vehicles receive exterior and interior design changes as well as meaningful updates in the areas of technology, infotainment and driver assistance systems. Both the X3 M and X4 M as well as the Competition Package equipped models also offer a notable increase in torque for 2022.

New Engine Tuning for Increased Torque

In 2019, BMW M GmbH developed the inline 6-cylinder turbocharged engine of the BMW X3 M and the BMW X4 M from scratch. The engine put out 473 hp and 442 lb-ft of torque. With an output of 503 hp at 6,250 rpm, the Competition version was the most powerful production inline 6-cylinder gasoline engine built by BMW. Now, also used in other BMW M models, such as the M3 and M4, the latest version of this engine currently delivers 457 lb-ft of torque in the BMW X3 M and X4 M and 479 lb-ft of torque in Competition tune. This is an increase of 37 lb-ft of torque for the Competition package equipped models and an increase of 13 lb-ft for the 2022 BMW X3 M and BMW X4 M. The new increased torque production lowers the 0-60 acceleration time of the BMW X3 M and BMW X4 M from 4.1 seconds to 3.9 seconds and from 4.0 seconds to 3.7 seconds for the Competition package-equipped X3 M and X4 M.

Internal S58 Engine Enhancements

The inline 6-cylinder engine in the 2022 BMW X3 M and BMW X4 M now features the forged lightweight crankshaft of the BMW M3 and M4 models. It’s extremely torsion-resistant design enables transmission of the higher torque numbers, while its low weight and reduced rotating mass also benefits the engine’s ability to rev.

That's the official version. But you've probably read some Forum comments discussing that pre-LCI HP/Torque numbers didn't seem to mesh with what dynos were showing and what many of us were seeing at the Drag Strip. As I and many others have shown with bone stock X3MC's results, we were already seeing 0-60mph in 3.6s in the pre-LCI, whereas the official version was 4.0s.

Regardless of whether some of this is adjusting the marketing message as has been suggested or actually defined changes to the torque production, I can say the LCI definitely feels faster off the line than my pre-LCI in just everyday driving. Realize I haven't done LC yet as haven't had break-in, but clearly I (and others) sense improved acceleration down low. How that will translate officially at the Strip I'm anxious to find out, but I won't be surprised if 11.5s 1/4mile becomes the new benchmark rather than 11.6s as it stands now. IMO...

Last edited by Max Well; 09-09-2021 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 2