View Single Post
      03-29-2023, 04:14 PM   #73
gapband
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Comp

Here are some pics of the installation for those who are curious. I snapped these when replacing the unit with the turn signal as it failed on me and threw codes after about a week or so of use. Also, threw back on the summer wheels

This marks my 4th time doing the installation, and I was able to do this one module in less than an hour.

Take your wheel off and pop your hood.

Undo all these rivets to remove this covering.

Remove these rivets and bolts to release the wheel well liner.

Unscrew this Torx bolt that holds the headlight.

This one also secures the headlight so you can unscrew this. On this last go around, I unscrewed the bolt and left it in-place.

Unscrew these two bolts that secure the bumper to the fender. This will allow you to pull out the bumper partially.

Remove the bolt circled in red because it secures the headlight. The red arrow points to another Torx bolt situated deeper in the void. I believe this connects the bumper but I'm not positive (I went ahead and removed it anyways). You can remove the yellow Torx screws as well. Since I'm only doing one side, I only removed half on this side but if you're doing both I would remove them all.

This is the torx screw in the "void".

Pop out the wheel arches and you can safely pull out the bumper to make room for the headlight.

The red arrow indicates another Torx screw that secures the light. This is the last of four - two on top and two on the bottom. After unscrewing, you can pull the headlight in the direction of the green arrow. Also, be sure to protect your paint/PPF and put a cloth on the upper portion of the bumper.

I use this extension set to gain access to the Torx screws holding in the light modules. There are three in total - two on top and one on the bottom.

Here I use the low-profile Torx driver to remove the bottom screw (link). This screw is the only reason we have to pull out the headlight a bit. The bracket on the back doesn't allow enough clearance for it.

Once you remove the bolts, you can pull back on the module to gain access to the chipsets and their connectors. Removing these aren't so difficult, but reinstalling them is the most tedious part of the job. I would be sure to have a pick set on hand! I think the first time I did this, it took ~20 min.

Of course, after reinstalling, you'll check your lights.

But don't forget to check your high and low beams too! And your turn signals!

Now admire your work.
Appreciate 16