General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Ahhhh.
Magazine expert.
If you are not already a pilot but always wanted to become one, I will send you a flight manual so you can add this to you list of skills.

My REAL WORLD experience tells a completely different story. 1200 mile, one-way trip 38.2 mpg at an avg speed of, well...let's just say I get down the road. My overall driving in the car has yielded 32.2 mpg this is calculated from the first mile driven, by the car. Overall i8 fleet mileage is 38.2 mpg. My longest distance in ecoPro mode only, mixed driving is over 23 miles with me reactivating the ICE at 0. My fellow owners tell me that after it reaches 0, there is still a mile or two left in the old girl.

My overall mileage is a bit lower because I drive hard...nearly always. My M6 overall mpg is about 9.8 mpg, as a reference. I use cars.

My highest mpg on a real world mixed trip...285 mpg on a 32 mile drive. Yes...285 mpg.

Return to your magazines. I will continue to operate in the real world. We are done here.
Cheers-mk

I now return you to our normally scheduled thread.
Oh that's right, we all have to be "experts" in order to comment on something... Though I've never actually jumped out of an airplane without a parachute, I know that there is a high probability of death doing so -stupid argument.

Magazines provide real world data and driving impressions, I use that information to form an opinion. I own several cars tested by Car and Driver, so I can evaluate their data as to how it compares to my real world data, which allows me calibrate their findings to mine. Yup my cars get better overall MPG than C&D did; no news flash that. But the actual facts that I stated earlier to me don't add up to paying $150K for an i8. The car basically has two drivetrains in it and not much room for more than two people and 5 cubic feet of luggage space. Most hybrids have a compact dual-mode drivetrain and space for people and luggage. Yes, those cars are not high-performance coupes (or 2-door sedans as BMW used to call them) but most of the real estate in the i8 is consumed by its drivetrain(s), which to me is more an engineering exercise than anything else. BMW is going to have to really shrink the footprint of the drivetrain to translate their i8 technology into a real useable automobile that people with normal disposable incomes can consider purchasing. I just don't see it happening without a serious reduction in performance (i.e. make the parts smaller and less powerful), which gets us back to a vehicle such as the Volt and Prius... It could be possible that GM, Toyota, Honda, all started with dual drivetrains, realized the architecture of a realistic car really didn't allow for such a space-consuming drivetrain footprint, and developed the compact drivetrain found in the typical hybrid.

I'm glad you enjoy your car. It's a cool car, but you stated it as a paradigm shift. I'm just not seeing it. Sorry.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 11-22-2015 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0