Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
See above. And...

The i8 doesn't impress me as an automobile considering the main purpose of the automobile is to take people and stuff places at a reasonable investment and with continued affordability; and in the case of some good cars... have fun doing it (why I drive a BMW). The i8 does none of these things in my view. It has 5 cubic feet of real trunk-lockable storage (you can get $26K of carbon fiber luggage for the back seat though), and Car and Driver's instrumented test it returned 26 MPG. Sure, it'll launch 0 - 60 in 3.8 seconds but that's a purpose mode of the drive train (launch control). In electric mode it goes 0 - 60 MPH in 9.2 seconds (I guess that's at 76 MPGe too). And in between modes for just normal driving it is 5 - 60 MPH in 4.6 seconds (I guess this is where it gets 26 MPG). I'm sorry, but that is just not impressive and certainly not paradigm shifting... So it appears to me the i8 is an EV that gets 15 miles on an electric charge an attains 60 MPH in 9.2 seconds (what a 1st gen Volt does), and carries around a 300+ HP turbo 3-banger (at 22 PSI boost - we'll see how long that engine lasts) in its ass to get some good performance numbers for the press to report on while achieving 26 MPG. These are reasons I've not taken the time to test drive it, the car for its real world capability is just not worth $150K. Sorry. It is a great engineering exercise though and why engineers like it.

Cheers-Efthreeoh
Ahhhh.
Magazine expert.
If you are not already a pilot but always wanted to become one, I will send you a flight manual so you can add this to you list of skills.

My REAL WORLD experience tells a completely different story. 1200 mile, one-way trip 38.2 mpg at an avg speed of, well...let's just say I get down the road. My overall driving in the car has yielded 32.2 mpg this is calculated from the first mile driven, by the car. Overall i8 fleet mileage is 38.2 mpg. My longest distance in ecoPro mode only, mixed driving is over 23 miles with me reactivating the ICE at 0. My fellow owners tell me that after it reaches 0, there is still a mile or two left in the old girl.

My overall mileage is a bit lower because I drive hard...nearly always. My M6 overall mpg is about 9.8 mpg, as a reference. I use cars.

My highest mpg on a real world mixed trip...285 mpg on a 32 mile drive. Yes...285 mpg.

Return to your magazines. I will continue to operate in the real world. We are done here.
Cheers-mk

I now return you to our normally scheduled thread.
Appreciate 0