Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Automobile Magazine and thier mechincal engineering editor is the source that SAE thinks the the Volt Gen 2 drivetrain is the most complex they've seen. I'll double check it later but I believe the electric motor in the i8 rear is basically a copy of Honda's IMA design, which came out over 16 years ago IIRC. But we're getting off point. You are discussing engines specifically, I am adressing claims of BMW leadership though out the spectrum of automotive technology. BMW didn't have any hybrid drivetrain 16 years ago, especially in unit production. And if the price point of the vehicle is $150,000 there's plenty of room to gain 152 BHP per liter. I'm just not that impressed.
Well.
The V Gen 2 is a semi-closed loop system that simply consist of an ICE to maintain the charge of the battery system via a generator with regen through the drive motor, as well. BFD. Anyone can design this.

The price point is not driven by the drive train but by the overall engineering of the entire vehicle. I own an E63 M6 and have friends with the entire gamut of auto's from the McLaren P1 down. One of the P1 owners, an engineer, states that the i8 is amazing in that it delivers an advanced power train for $135K. Please use this reference to keep it in perspective: The next vehicle price point for this drivetrain and basic construction is the Porsche 918. I built one out for sh**s and giggles and came out with a delivered cost of $945K.

I used this analogy before in another post but this use of CF in an advanced drivetrain for a price point of $150K in a vehicle that can be driven daily AND has a warranty is nothing short of earth shattering. It is similar to the democratization of horsepower in the eighties. After the fuel crisis of the 70s everything was anemic in power and the only cars with serious power were out of reach to the normal buyer. The Japanese came along and turned this on it's ear with a few great cars joined by the '84 Corvette. Horsepower to the masses.

I have a close friend who acquired a Ferrari about 18 months ago. He sold it because he underestimated the $25K per year that it takes to keep it on the road. When I purchased my i8 I performed a similar calculation and determined that over a 4 year period the i8 will actually cost me about $60K less in operating expenses than almost any similarly priced offering on the secondary market. Again, a no brainer. Dig deeper and you will see that the i8 is a paradigm shattering car.

Cheers-mk

P.S. BMW has won the award 62 times since it's inception in 1999, 7 times overall. VW+Porsche+Audi is in second place with 34 awards. GM has been awarded the prize 3 times. And only once for any of the VOLT engines and exactly never in the overall category. This is not technical leadership.

Last edited by MKSixer; 12-02-2015 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 1