11-18-2015, 05:15 AM   #30
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
This organization may disagree with you.
http://www.ukipme.com/engineoftheyear/results.php?id=2
Yeah, I'll stick with real automotive engineers when it comes to assessing drivetrains...

The i8 has an electric motor driving the front axle and an engine driving the rear w/ a bunch of software in between. BFD - like some modern greenie 2-engine Hot Wheels toy car - LOL. GM actually puts the two drive technologies together in a compact drive unit in a car that costs $40K not $150K. BMW's actual equivalent hybrid to the Volt, the i3, has a 2-cylinder motorcycle engine designed to get you back home to your solar powered i3 charging station, and hopefully there are not many hills in between. The Volt will drive in gas mode as far as across town or across country and not have to stop every hour for gas.

I'm sure you'll harp on the i8's performance, yeah, well, I'd get a C7 Vette for $70K and spend the other $80K on gasoline for it for the next 25 years.

Like I said, my wife and I have been driving BMWs daily since 1988 and my association with the brand goes back to the late 70's. I think they make some great cars, but to believe all the hype that comes out of BMWs PR department is something you need to take with a grain of salt.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0