03-17-2021, 06:33 AM   #3
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
Hi,

Those that know me around forums know I do quite a bit of work on my own cars including coding and BMW ISTEP updates. Following the trend that I started on people getting ISTEP updates on their older M2's, I decided to give updating to the 2021 March update a try out solely for being able to code in full screen apple carplay without needing "hacks or backdoors".

That definitely was fulfilled, however not among other excitement and improvements in the car. I've let the car adapted already, so other than longer term adaptations on the transmission, it's safe to say none of this is placebo.

TLDR: Updated from 2020-March to 2021-March vehicle software, X3M much improved. OBD unlock not affected

The car feels more refined overall, maybe a tiny bit less edgy, but overall it improves the driving experience.

Big key improvements
  • Lane keep & ACC now behaves like you would expect, pingpong is much less, and car is much more reactive on corners.. no more "uhh is the car going to follow this corner?"
  • Lane keep now works during the day where there's less contrast on lane markings
  • Delay from a slow rolling start <1mph but not stopped is fixed, no more hesitation or a small clunk if you roll into power a hair too quick for the transmission to react
  • instrument cluster doesn't crash anymore if you use the konami code on the M buttons for loud starts
  • car doesn't seem to always want to idle high when the cats are cold
  • idrive much more responsive
  • Suspension damping feels a bit more controlled
  • Shifts seem more buttery
  • Only con here is.. steering feels different.. unsure if it's better or worse. There's a bit of off center lightness now, but when loaded up it feels better. I think BMW tried to make it feel more natural, but I've grown to enjoy EPS steering with a tight on center feel.. will need to give it a bit more miles to really know. Sport+ seems to be slightly more usable

Re: your last point - does it help with highway driving? I find my X3MC to be a bit twitchy on the highway. Requires more effort than most cars to track it straight.
Appreciate 1
Transfer5254.00