04-25-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
nicholascanada
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Acura

20" BMW OEM Rim Options - Winter Tires

A few queries for anyone out there.

First, has anyone run 20" winter tires on a vehicle before? I am considering the option since it seems there is a 20" OEM BMW rim that is quite inexpensive compared to all other OEMs. I realize you pay more for the 20", but at end of the day it still works out a bit cheaper. There are a couple of performance winter tire options in the 245/40/20 size that would work. Any comments would be appreciated. I realize that 20" is not usual for winters, but other than price I wondered about what I might not be good about this option.

I also am considering 20" winters as the alternative would be a 18" to really lower the tire cost. With that option, I am just not sold on the look. Not sure the m40i looks ok with 18" wheels. The stock 20" look VG, and since I would be running winters almost half the year here, I would be looking at those 18"s for a long time lol. If I did do 18s, I am thinking of going dark with the Style 307 black rims. I am thinking perhaps those would help hide the smaller rim against that large wheel gap.

Second, there is the 20" OEM BMW Star Spoke 311 Rim, part number 36116792000. For some reason it is less than $200 per rim, vs. close to $500+ for any other suitable 18" or 19" OEM BMW rim for the X4.

Finally if you run a 20" winter tire setup, can you run square vs staggered? I know the vehicle comes with a staggered setup, but is running 20" square ok? Any concerns?

Has anyone used the Star Spoke 311 Rim before? It just seems odd that it is so less expensive compared to for example the Style 309 19" OEM BMW rim. I quite like the bold look of those 311 rims. Thanks!

Last edited by nicholascanada; 04-25-2016 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0