View Single Post
      10-07-2022, 08:26 PM   #2
alex sol
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

this is an automatic GA6L45E from doing some research.. GM trans also found in 2010 ish Cadillacs and Chevs

1. lift car on 4 x 6 ton jack stands on the driveway, tested for stability
2. pryed off hanger for exhaust - all the weight now on the hanger off the transfer case
3. went to remove the exhaust bolts 10mm complete rust welded on... cut off the exhaust about 12" rearward instead with a grinder and sawzall
4. heat shield 10mm x 6 or more
5. drive shaft now exposed and removed 4 x Etorx 12 (External Torx you find all over these bmw)
6. guibo flex disc - removed 3 x 18mm (note the location though likely replacing with new)
7. removed center bearing 2 x 13mm
8. here's a goofy bit, I yanked on the guibo end of the drive shaft and separated the drive shaft... possible it needs to be balanced now... will take to drive shaft shop and pay $$ to balance or could have save the trouble if i had marked the drive shaft spline location
9. Support trans with wood block and bike jack
10.removed 18mm damper bushing bolt
11. removed transmission mount with 13mm x 4
12. removed transfer case - disconnect harness by press and pull plus a tiny sensor held on by etorx6 mini sized bolt, removed more than the six bolts necessary by accident. only remove 4 x ETorx12 facing rearward and 2 x Etorx12 facing forward. Off comes the transfer case with a wiggle - a good time to check if the plastic wheel inside the transfer case actuator motor is shredded or not
13. drain the fluid from the transmission - i didn't do this, my drain plug kinda rust welded on
14. remove trans cooler lines 1 x 13mm
15. unplug transmission harness
16. unplug to o2 sensors
17. remove six torque converter bolts 19mm, used a medium sized phillips screwdrive and levered off the rectangular inspection hole (usually covered by black rectangular rubber cover) and was enough to spin the engine 1/6 of turn x 6 times while using the extended 19mm deep impact socket
18. remove 10 bolts 3 different sized Etorx. E18 for the large, E14 for the mediums, E10 for the smalls and might have been a E12 but don't recall now
19. pulled the transmission from the engine... got stuck a little, raised the jack a little and got unstuck... the Torque converter started to leak a ton of oil so be ready to catch the fluid... it's mostly on my driveway now...
20. transmission out and by inspection looks like rear main seal ready to swap and some oil still leaking from above (or it's old leak) which is the valve cover

ordering some parts from rockauto though they are not that clear... i ordered the transmission output shaft seal by looking up the 2013 Cadillac ATS and the input seal is called the 'fluid' seal... will double check the part numbers...
Appreciate 0