11-01-2018, 05:26 PM   #21
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08' M5, '09 335i, '18 M3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
I was most likely biased due to my limited time with the Tesla (24hours) and how I compared with with what I was used to in the BMW.

No doubt that the lane keeping assist feature on the Tesla, both on normal streets, back roads, and freeways are superior.

The self parking thing that got me annoyed was the fact that I couldn't see beyond the rear view camera; (i.e. top down view, 3d view,) .. perhaps it takes more getting used to. Its pretty cool that Tesla offers that wheel replacement. I would had certainly taken that into account when writing this if I had known.
Totally understand. As I said, your write up was very good for the most part.

I very much agree that it is bad that the car has no birds eye camera. I find it quite ridiculous for a car that's meant to be all techy etc. I think they just forgot. Same with the automatic windshield wiper for example.

For me the most mind-blowing part next to the autopilot and the $80 it costs me per month to run this thing is the unbelievable handling. I do have aftermarket rims and tires which are wider and stickier than stock (Conti Contact Sport), but man, with that low weight it handles much better than a 5 series (I am talking about the Model S here btw). It goes where you point it, even though the steering feel is a bit dead.

Verde Mantis Green M3 F80 Manual
-
Motor Journalist from Germany and BMW Genius
Appreciate 1
A.J.8515.50