07-22-2019, 02:02 PM   #42
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma01 View Post
Those who dismiss Lexus as a boring vehicle are missing the point. Many value comfort and reliability as much as (or even more so) than we, BMW loyalists, value driving dynamics.

I convinced my brother, a life-long Lexus buyer, to buy the e60 many years ago, and after 3 years of ownership, he switched back to Lexus. He says Lexus cars are just more comfortable and the dealership experience is far superior. For example, when he left his BMW for service, he got a stripper 3-series as a loaner, where as a Lexus dealer would have given him a car that is equivalent to what he brought in for service. Another example, after his battery was diagnosed as faulty still under warranty, his BMW dealer told him that it wasn't covered and had him pay for replacement, where as his Lexus dealer would go out of its way to please him for any faulty parts instead of splitting hairs on warranty coverage.

Unfortunately for BMW, the ultimate driving machine slogan has become more of a marketing exercise than building what it is supposed to portray (e.g. count the number of ///M badges on non-M cars, or M-Sport packages that are more bling-bling than actual performance parts). After 20-years and 9 BMWs, it may be time to say adieu to the brand if the C8 Corvette is as exciting as it looks on paper.
I won't disagree with you on the dealership aspect as that goes all the way back to the beginning as they knew that for them to break into the luxury market that the dealership experience needed to be as good or better than the Germans or they would be considered another Acura (where people go to get really nice Hondas, not real luxury cars). I kind of feel this CarWow comparison hits the nail on the head regarding Lexus in general compared to German rivals. Well made, reliable but soft, and a some typical Japanese oddball execution and poor infotainment system.

Appreciate 0