View Single Post
      03-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #12
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsX3 View Post
If you are talking about it sitting for a couple of weeks, it should be no issue. But to ease your mind (1) go for a nice drive until all of your temps (water and oil) are at normal operating temperatures every week or so, or (2) get a well reviewed battery maintainer like a CTEK https://insight.daumphotography.com/...e-out-of-this/. Be sure that the maintainer has an AGM setting, since that cycle is a bit different than standard lead acid car batteries. Our X3s come with a AGM from the factory. Use the positive connector along with the ground stud, under the hood (passenger side of the engine compartment).
Attachment 2270204
Attachment 2270205

You can safely leave the CTEK maintainer connected for extended periods of time.

FWIW, what I would not do is simply idle the engine. This is really bad for the engine since typically the oil and coolant won't get hot enough, and you will end up with condensate and acids that don't burn off (as they do when you reach operating temperatures) and also remain in your oil and throughout your exhaust system.

Ditto, what's said above...

Since my CTEK is tied up with other car in the garage (i own two chargers, CTEK and BMW to use on other cars that are older),

, and coming from 2003 e39 and 2004 e46, i assumed i can do the same with cigarette socket for battery charging, hooked up the other batter charger to X3,

, and noticed wasn't doing much of anything.

Searched and realized that these newer BMW cars do not have dedicated charging accessory outlets, hence no powered cigarette lighters when the key is out of the car.

DOH...

Looking for second CTEK...
Appreciate 0