View Single Post
      05-22-2019, 09:45 AM   #1
skylined_gtr
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW X3 Sport 3.0i

X3 3.0 Backfiring and missfiring

Hi All,

Hoping someone can give me some guidance. I've got a 2004 (54) X3 3.0 Sport, Auto, been a great car but has suddenly developed a fault.

Been parked for a couple of weeks, went to start it and wouldn't stay running, it went to 1k rpm then dropped almost instantly.

Tried again but this time gave it some pedal to about 2k, was really struggling to stay alive and backfiring through the inlet manifold.

Rev up to 4k, the backfiring is reduced (i.e. a lot less frequent), but again struggling and the odd misfire.

Read the codes using INPA, it came up with Air Mass Meter and Thermostat Map Cooling Control. Cleared the codes, tried it again without the Air Mass Meter but got exactly the same results (as described above). The error codes haven't returned since. Bought a new Air Mass Meter anyways to try it out but same results.

I ignored the Thermostat Map Cooling Control (I assume this is the ECU water temp sensor?) Could this be the trouble?

Pulled the spark plugs out, coated in fuel so it looks like it's dumping a load of fuel in? Not sure. I'm thinking massive air leak somewhere (although I can't hear one) but I can't think where to look. Are there common failure points on this engine?

Help!

Last edited by skylined_gtr; 05-22-2019 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0