12-14-2018, 10:36 AM   #86
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdog97 View Post
Ditto. Just last month traded in my CPO 2016 Macan S (after less than 6 months) to get a 2019 X3 M40i. Definitely more rear seat room across multiple dimensions, and having the ability to rake the rear seatbacks further back is a big positive for us.

In terms of performance, I'd say there is definitely more useable, immediate power and torque from the M40i. It's much faster 'out of the hole' than the Macan, which I think is due to a combination of engine tuning, e-throttle tuning and the ZF transmission in the X3 smoking the PDK in the Porsche. The lull / hole / pause off the line in the Macan is well documented on Porsche-specific forums like MacanForums and Rennlist, and is a real day-to-day annoyance.

Now that I'm in the M40i there is no more worrying about turning left from a stop in two way traffic and nearly getting T-boned. I also don't miss the follow-up lurch and over-zoom as the Macan engine and transmission unexpectedly spin up to warp 2....

Also, with the 20" RS Spyder wheels and without PASM (adjustable suspension modes), I found the Macan to be unnecessarily harsh around town, vs. my last F80 M3 (on 19's) or my M40i (on 19's).

As a lapsed Porschephile (admittedly all manual transmission street and race 911s in the past), I was really disappointed that the 2016 Macan S was such a hot mess, especially at that price point.
This is really interesting to hear, I had contemplated a Macan GTS but the leg and head room is a bit of a deal breaker at my height (6'3) making the back seats not near as usable.
Appreciate 0