Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3 View Post
What is your opinion on the lack of trim on the center console and going all piano black? The all piano black, which gets micro swirls/scratches seems to be a cost cutting measure on the lci?
Including side-by-side images for ease of comparison. For the LCI they moved the iDrive controller into the grouping of other controls (which has its own framed section). So it would seem they would've had to make the entire center console surround trim CFRP (extending up around the retractable cover) or not at all? Not sure where you would stop it if you tried to just do the right-hand side as the pre-LCI has. Would I have liked to have that? Sure, but I'd have to see the price point to see if it was worth it to me. No doubt it would look great and match the CFRP trim we have elsewhere in the cabin.

And regarding the wireless charger which got dropped with these early production runs (? chip shortage as cause) - we were initially pleased to have that feature in the G01, but by the time we transitioned into the F97 and enjoyed a more spirited driving style, our iPhones rarely stayed in the right position to capture the charge, despite having a cover with some friction to them. That, and it was a slow charge and would often become hot. So even before we got the LCI we've been using USB-wired charge method and just lay our phones in the cupholders or dedicated phone holders we bought which fit into them.

I actually like the added volume now where the charger used to be as more things can be thrown in there and fit even with the cover closed. And I find it's surface to be a more rubbery feel rather than hard plastic like the piano black, and stuff doesn't slide around very much given the angled sides. YMMV
Thanks for posting this, both look good but the new setup should of been done the same as the g80/g82 with some trim on the perimeter and cover area. It looks like bmw wanted to save some money here. Granted they do charge $900 on the g80 but that also includes the shifters and wheel trim
Max Well4728.00